‘Very melodramatic Paula’! ‘I will never forget those words, scribbled in red ink across my English essay. I was 12 years old. I thought it was the best paper ever written: suspense, murder, lovers, deceit. Yup for a 12 year old, something came out of somewhere and I wrote until my fingers numbed .She hated it. I cried.
I gave up at that point, I stopped writing. I mean, I stopped writing in my voice, I smothered it, I diluted it, I wrote the fundamentals, but not with passion. 30 odd years later, here I am. I want to grab 12 year old me by the hand and show her, that although melodramatic to one person, another it could be gripping, suspense enthralled or even just funny. I wish I could tell her to suck it up, pick up a dictionary and keep writing.
But I didn’t. This is why, this nomination is so super important to me. Thank you Pregoandtheloon It’s the first official nod that I am OK, you only hear me through my writing and you like it enough to nominate me. You hear my voice as I hear you.Your experiences, good and bad are different to mine in content but we share gut ripping lows and the instinctual survival highs. We share a passion and determination, that despite the road blocks, we will continue to smash them down to make the most of what we can do right, rather than wallowing on what we did wrong. Thank you Prego for the nomination, but more importantly for sharing a little bit of you with me and letting me do the same.
My blog is the start of me being who I truly am and embracing her. Melodramatic? I’ll take it. Better to be someone having a go, rather someone too scared to try.
The rules for receiving this award are as follows.
1. Provide a link and thank the blogger who nominated you for this award.
2. Answer 10 questions.
3. Nominate 10-12 blogs that you find a joy to read.
4. Provide links to these nominated blogs and kindly let the recipients know that they have been nominated.
5. Include the award logo within your blog post.
The Questions to be answered
- Your favorite color – on what ? I love all colour, some more than others at different times of the day, month or decade I am in
3. Favorite non-alcoholic drink – Diet Tonic water – it compliments gin wonderfully
4. Facebook or Twitter – Twitter this week
6. Do you prefer getting or giving presents? I prefer giving to my daughter and getting off my husband…What? I am just being honest!
7. Your favorite number? 73. The house number where I was born, I grew up, moved out and moved back in several times – when sanctuary, love and homemade pie was required.
8. Your favorite day of the week? Can I have a time instead ? 7am and 7pm. 7 am as that’s when my little poppet wakes up and we have cuddles and 7pm, that’s when she goes to bed and I pour my G&T.
9.Your favorite flower? – Lily. My daughters name.
10. What is your passion? Life and all the shit that goes with it.
… and in no specific order the nominees are:
Melanie Toye http://melanietoye.wordpress.com
Mommy Om http://newhealthom.com
Job Talk with Anita Clew http://anitaclew.com
Writing with kids http://writingwithkids.wordpress.com
40 Something lessons http://40somethinglessons.wordpress.com